Losing My Outdoorsy Virginity

As you might guess, I’m a big fan of the conveniences of modern life like electricity, running water, heat, and fly swatters, and I think whoever invented window screens is a genius. While I really enjoy running, I’d rather run on a treadmill than run outdoors so I don’t get sunburnt or rained on.  And I think my toes are way too ugly to not be prettified by some sassy nail polish.  I acknowledge and embrace these quirks about myself, and thankfully, so does Rick, but as of late, he and I both are also embracing our need to connect with nature and be more physically active.

Dressed head-to-toe in REI gear, Rick and I are geared up for adventure.

Two years ago, being new Seattle, I vowed to Rick, “I’ll never be an REI girl!”  I desperately wanted to cling to my Southern California-ness: flip flops, tank tops, supahcute purses and all.  Now, I’m up in Alaska, fully decked in duds all purchased from REI, and doing things that are so unlike me.

Since being on this cruise, I’ve seen whales jump for joy, I’ve scrambled up a mountainside to get close to a glacier, and learned about local animal and plant life from a National Park Ranger and four fantastic expedition leaders.  I’ve kayaked near the mouth of a river to watch a bear catch some salmon, paddleboarded in 40-degree water and stayed upright, explored both timeworn and new-growth forests, and saw things that triggered my wild and racy imagination in evocative tide pools.

We met and got to know great people like Joe, John, Polly and Carla.

I’ve also met and been greatly inspired by so many wonderful fellow travelers and crewmembers that have nurtured my newfound adventurous spirit.  Being around people who have an enthusiasm for the outdoors makes it easier to stretch myself beyond my own comfortable parameters and to discover new things about the places we visit…and about myself.

Any one of those things that I’ve done on this trip would have been enough to make this cruise one of the most memorable vacations I’ve ever had.  And to have done all of those things on the same trip has been such a tremendous gift. Rick and I are grateful that we’ve been so fortunate to share in these priceless experiences together.  It’s expanded our perceptions about what adventure travel can be, it’s challenged us to do activities we’ve never done before, and it’s brought us even closer to one another.  What more could you ask for?

Well, despite all the amazing things we had already done, we couldn’t help but hope for one more thing: a calving glacier. You see it all the time in travel shows and nature shows, but I’d never seen it with my own eyes.  But it’s not like you can plan those things.  Nature will do what she wants when she wants, and no amount of hoping can change that.

Heading out to Ford’s Terror on our skiff.

On our last full day, we wanted to get in as much adventure as possible.  Early in the morning, we boarded a skiff to explore an area called Ford’s Terror.  Here, there’s a bottleneck entrance into a fjord.  The fierce current changes direction every six hours, and if you get stuck inside the fjord, you have six hours until you can work your way back out.  We got there when the current was transitioning from pushing us out to soon be drawing us in.  We didn’t dare cross into the fjord.

Getting cozy with a blue ‘berg.

Instead, we explored the coastline and came face-to-face with massive icebergs.  The monoliths were so tightly compacted that there were virtually no air bubbles, absorbing all colors in the light spectrum except blue.  Each of us, with jaws dropped open in amazement, reached out to make contact with these monuments of frozen water, appreciating their temporal beauty before they floated away with the current and continued their slow, melting demise.

Rick and the iceberg high-five each other.

Knowing that these icebergs had once been a part of the nearby Dawes Glacier, my excitement and eagerness to see it grew steadily.  But patience was a virtue that I would need to invoke.  Because of that changing current, we’d have to time things just right so that we wouldn’t find ourselves up a fjord without an escape route.

Chuck and Ann enjoying the mist off the waterfall.

We continued exploring the bay, seeing harbor porpoises pop up here and there.  There were checking us out as much as we were checking them out.  We got right underneath a stunning waterfall whose drop point was so high, you had to bend your head all the way back like a Pez dispenser to try to see it.

Soon we switched to the next activity: kayaking the bay.  This gave us a chance to revisit the icebergs and realize how much they had moved.  Two icebergs that had been about thirty yards apart just two hours ago had now collided with one other.  The scraping and groaning of the two icy beasts as they negotiated right of way still rings in my ears.

Amanda and Becky looking content without noseeums swarming their heads.

As we visited more waterfalls and more of the bay, we realized the greatest drawback of kayaking was that you couldn’t go fast enough to escape the mosquitos and noseeums that swarmed your face.  Our fellow passengers Amanda and Becky told us to keep one hand raised above our heads because those pesky insects will tend to flock to the highest point.  As they demonstrated this technique, the teacher in me kept wanting to call on them and answer any questions they had.

Seven layers and a life vest aren’t enough to keep out the cold.

Finally, we had a window of opportunity in the afternoon to get out to Dawes Glacier.  The temperature had dropped drastically and the foggy conditions made visibility a challenge.  Even with numerous layers of clothing, hats and gloves, the cold seeped its way through.

After traveling about half an hour through the windy, drizzly fjord, we reached the majestic glacier.  We kept our distance—staying about 1.5 miles from the face—because if it were to calve, a strong swell could easily topple our 12-person skiff.

We are 1.5 miles away from the glacier. In the middle ground and to the right, you can seen birds perched on an ice sheet.

We waited and waited.  And then we waited some more.  But time passed quickly with so many things to look at.  There were sea lions lying on ice sheets, tanning themselves under an imaginary sun.  Flocks of seabirds hovered and then dove periodically toward the water, presumably to scoop out some tasty morsels.  It gave us a better sense of scale, knowing the relative size of these animals, seeing how far they were from the glacier, and then mentally calculating how enormous Dawes is.

Which one of these glacial chunks is going calve? Only nature knows.

So many sections looked like they were about to calve.  We fixed our gaze on one wobbly-looking column that we were certain would go down anytime soon.  Patience.  Patience.  Patience.  Suddenly, we heard the gunshot cracking of ice.  Stunned by how loud it was, we scanned the glacier to find the origin of the sound.  But we were too slow to see it happen.  All we saw were the last remnants of a splash.  My disappointment lasted only a minute or so until we felt the rolling swell sway our skiff.  It was so strong that I had to hold onto Rick and the metal bars to keep my balance.

We stayed there for another twenty-five minutes—our teeth chattering virtually in unison.  As we were deciding to head back to our ship, another skiff came by.  They were bold (read: crazy) enough to get much closer than we did.  We hesitated about leaving.  What if they saw it calve and we didn’t?  We lingered a bit, watched them move even closer, and felt our jealousy start rearing its ugly head.  Finally, our skiff skipper said we had to go back, but he told us to keep looking back at the glacier, just in case.

Ka-SPLASHHHHHHHHH! A massive chunk of glacier has now become the newest iceberg.

Slowly, and I mean slowly, he started to pull away.  Within thirty seconds, we heard that familiar gunshot crack, but this time I had my camera focused and metered on the right spot.  Ka-SPLASHHHH!  I got it!   I couldn’t believe my luck.  Now we were all eager to stay a few more minutes to see it one more time.  And sure enough, Ka-SPLASHHHHHHH!  We saw another one!   And I got that one on film, too.

The second calving. Being at the right place at the right time (with a really good camera) has it’s benefits.

This was the perfect climax to my virgin Alaskan outdoorsy nature adventure.  Everything I could have hoped for happened, and then some.  This has definitely whetted my appetite for more adventure travel.

The amazing, talented, knowledgeable, and thoughtful crew of the Safari Endeavour.

Rick and I are so appreciative of our Captain Jill and her stellar crew of the Safari Endeavour.  They made all these experiences possible and consistently made us feel like part of their ship’s family.   Their mission to get us to the right places to see the best of what Alaska’s Inside Passage has to offer gave us the chance to see things we’ve never seen, do things we’ve never done, and to realize what we are capable of as travelers and adventurers.

The fantastic crew bid each and every one of us a very fond farewell.
Thank you for everything you and your crew have done, Captain Jill. This was one of our greatest adventures.

As travelers, it is our hope and our goal to learn about the places we visit, to respect and appreciate the cultural similarities and differences of the people we meet, and to bring home a broader and deeper understanding of our world and of ourselves.  This Alaskan cruise has been the perfect backdrop for all of those things.  I may have only just dipped my toe into the world of adventure travel, but it definitely leaves me with the desire for more.

4 thoughts on “Losing My Outdoorsy Virginity

  1. thank you for a great write up of our adventure. As you have written it was something special to be appreciated by all of us, Derek

  2. So glad we were able to witness your conversion to a full-fledged outdoor aficionado! You and Rick are welcome back anytime you want to scratch the nature itch again!

    1. Captain Jill! Thank you so much for reading the blog. It’s been a rewarding experience for me to collect my thoughts about our adventures with you and the crew of the Safari Endeavour and to be able to share them. It really was one of our best trips together, and that is due, is no small part, to how you and your crew cared for and educated us. When you’re back in Seattle, let us know. We’d love to meet up.

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: